You can change the appearance of a staff mid-score by adding a Staff type change element to a measure, and adjusting its properties in the Inspector.
Add a Staff Type Change
- Select a measure in the score and, in the "Text" palette, click (double-click prior to version 3.4) the "Staff type change" symbol, ; alternatively, drag the "Staff type change" icon onto a measure;
- Select the symbol, and adjust its properties (see below) in the Inspector as required.
The properties that can be altered in the Staff type change dialog in the Inspector are:
How far the changed staff shall be moved up or down: measured in spaces (abbr.: sp) .
Tick the box to create a reduced-size staff.
Changes the size of the staff and all associated elements, as a percentage.
The number of lines making up the staff.
The distance between two staff lines, measured in spaces (abbr.: sp).
How many steps up or down the notes in the staff are offset.
Whether the staff barlines will be shown.
Show ledger lines
Whether ledger lines will be shown for notes above/below the staff lines.
Whether the notes shall be shown in standard or slash style.
Allows selection of how noteheads are displayed.
Whether the staff clef will be shown.
Generate time signatures
Whether the staff time signature(s) will be shown or not.
Generate key signatures
Whether the staff key signatures will be shown or not.
To illustrate the use of Staff type change, the staff shown below was created using the following steps:
- Add a Staff type change to measure 2.
- Set size to "Small".
- Set "Lines" to 4.
- Add a second Staff Type Change to measure 3.
Change "Lines" to 7,
Afterwards the global Staff Properties are changed using Staff properties:
1 Set "Lines" to 2.
2. Change "Staff Line Color".
As can be seen, the change in "Lines" is only effective up to the first staff type change, whereas the change to "Staff Line Color" is effective throughout the score.