Program installs but won't start
So this program looks fantastic I thought, exactly what I was looking for. A no brainer to try it out...
Only I've tried installing both v1.3 and the v2 beta (PC, win7 pro, intel i7 laptop), and though it seems to go through the install ok as soon as it tries to load I get the 'mscore.exe has stopped working' notice and no further joy.
I've tried installing/running it as administrator and uninstalled/reinstalled about a dozen times now. I've tried running it from the command line to reset factory defaults in case it was starting a bad script. And there I run out of ideas. If anyone has any other ideas, please shout them my way.
'mscore.exe' hints at either 1.3 or 2.0 Beta 1, as of 2.0 Beta 2 should be called MuscScore.exe.
So which is the failing one, or are both failing? Which of the 2 you have reset to factory?
In risposta a 'mscore.exe' hints at either by Jojo-Schmitz
Hi. Thanks for getting back. Have tried 1.3 and beta 2 (musescore.exe). Both fail to start after install. Have tried factory resets on both (-f). Just tried un/reinstalling each in turn and still no joy. Back to pen and paper for this evening. Cheers, Maz.
In risposta a Hi. Thanks for getting back. by mazorian
To be safe, try to check the permissions of the antivirus.
To exaggerate ;-) download a Nightly (http://prereleases.musescore.org/windows/nightly/), create a new folder, for example MuseScoreN, and extract into that.
In any case: welcome aboard!
So either we are looking at some incompatibility ( http://musescore.org/en/handbook/known-incompatibilities ), either some bug we don't know off yet like the one described at http://musescore.org/en/node/42751#comment-201581
Just to say I managed to fix the problem. An old audio driver (for a digidesign 002) hadn't uninstalled correctly. When I finally managed to rid the registry of references to it, both versions of musescore ran first time. Now to get learning...
In risposta a Just to say I managed to fix by mazorian
Thx for posting the solution! Could you clarify the digidesign driver name? Was it "Digi 002 Console and Rack"?
You're not the first one to report an incompatibility with a Digidesign driver. See
We'd like to update the handbook page on incompatibilities accordingly: http://musescore.org/en/node/36041
In risposta a Thx for posting the solution! by Thomas
Hi. Just rooted around my recycle bin to find it for you. It was a part of that set of drivers certainly, I can't be 100% on the exact version as I installed a few and don't know which exactly didn't uninstall. Was one of...
002_003 rack drivers v90265 or v90_69605
003 console 9 0 6
I believe the file that was causing the problem was called MMERefresh.exe
I found it referenced in the startup procedure (wherever that was, im new to win7 so it all took a bit longer than it should have) and also running in windows task manager. I stopped and disabled it before I could delete the digidesign folder with all of the defunct drivers.
And success. Yay! Hope thats of some use.
In risposta a Hi. Just rooted around my by mazorian
Thanks mazorian. It's good to learn that the "Digidesign MME Refresh Service" is "still" incompatible with the coming MuseScore 2.0.