MuseScore 4.2 Beta now available
As promised, we have a beta build ready for MuseScore 4.2, which you can download from our release page over on GitHub: https://github.com/musescore/MuseScore/releases/tag/v4.2.0-beta
Once the beta is installed, it will show up on your machine as “MuseScore 4 Testing”. You can install it alongside your current version of MuseScore 4, but please be aware that the two versions will share preferences and workspaces. Also, if you save any score files with 4.2 then you will not be able to open them with previous versions of MuseScore 4.
If you find any issues, please report them on GitHub. As always, please check first that the issue hasn’t already been raised, and ideally try to reproduce it in the latest nightly build before reporting.
Here’s a reminder of the new features in 4.2:
- Support for alternate string tunings
- All-new system for inputting bends and customising their playback
- Bend playback currently requires SoundFont or VST.
- Better synchronisation between the score and the parts
- Ability to exclude certain elements from the score or the parts
Harp pedal diagrams
- Support for glissando playback with correct enharmonics
- Support for arpeggios spanning voices
- Options to place ties ‘inside’ or ‘outside’ of notes and chords
- Various other fixes (see list)
- 6-key Braille input via the Braille panel
- Ability to choose specific sounds within a SoundFont
- Support for Music Encoding Initiative (MEI) format
- Various MusicXML fixes and improvements
Share to Audio.com
- Ability to update existing audio
- Option to publish to MuseScore.com and Audio.com at the same time
- Playback support for microtonal accidentals has now made it into MuseScore 4.2!
- Finessing this feature is likely to be an ongoing process over the next couple of releases, but we’d appreciate your feedback and input!
- Optimisations for note-input
The MuseScore Team
Reminder for plugin authors: if your plugin uses the
TextField component from QtQuick.Controls 1.0, please replace it with the
TextEdit component from QtQuick.Controls 2.15 (or from QtQuick.Controls 2.2 if you require compatibility with MuseScore 3). See issue #19326 for details. Thanks!