ABC import fails

• Apr 27, 2020 - 15:17
Reported version
3.4
Type
Plugins
Frequency
Many
Severity
S3 - Major
Reproducibility
Always
Status
active
Regression
No
Workaround
Yes
Project

Start musescore; Plugin; ABC Import; copy a correct ACB file in the screen; do not save.
Plugin; ABC Import; copy an ABS file in the screen; import fails with error as in uploaded file..
After restarting the computer the first time is successful second time failed.

Attachment Size
ABC Import Failed.jpg 27.43 KB

Comments

Frequency Many Once
Status active needs info

What is an ACB or ABS file? If typo for ABC, please attach that here.

What happens if you hit the "Ja" button?
Please attach that xml file too

In reply to by Jojo-Schmitz

Sorry, it is about the ABC import Plugin. If you press Ja you get in empty my-file.
I did some experimenting and it seems to occur only after you enter ABC code with errors in de the screen.
I copy and paste ABC code in the screen that sometimes contains errors. In that case I just have to restart Musescore and sometimes restart the computer. So this is a workaround I can life with.
Thanks for yous effort and for a very beautiful program.

In reply to by Willem van Loenen

No good reason for a .docx file here:


Problem in MuseScore with ABC Import Plugin
This is the second time I report this problem. I used a workaround but the problem is now all the time. I copy / paste ABC code from TheSession.org: example
https://thesession.org/tunes/449

up-to-date.png

error.png

Clicking Ja returns an Empty My_Fyle
Clicking Nee aborts
This is now happening all the time. Using this function is important to me.
Regards,

Willem van Loenen


I can use the ABC plugin on the ABCs provided at that site, no problem, so still not reproducible

The problem seems to be that the website providing the conversion, https://abc2xml.appspot.com/, apparently doesn't work anymore, the returned 'my_file.xml' contains an HTML error (same error is seen when using the above link):

<html><head>
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=utf-8">
<title>500 Server Error</title>
</head>
<body text=#000000 bgcolor=#ffffff>
<h1>Error: Server Error</h1>
<h2>The server encountered an error and could not complete your request.<p>Please try again in 30 seconds.</h2>
<h2></h2>
</body></html>
<xml>

I wonder how dificult it would be to provide that service on a different server, maybe even directly from musescore.org or musescore.com?

@lasconic back in the day developed the plugin, not sure whether he's also behind that service on appscpot.com?

ISTR that MS4 intends to ship the plugin by default, in which case I'd half expect "them" to host the service for it as well..

Same thing happening here! Abc plugin says this is not a valid file, and returns a blank screen if you click 'import anyway'. Just started today, was working like magic before! Any ideas?
Thanks all

In reply to by jeetee

Jeetee,

Thanks for your efforts on fixing the abc_import plug in!

I get an error message whether I:

•I paste in abc code in the text field
• or if I open an abc document (via the plug-in's Open button.)

abc plugin error message.png

Perhaps the plug in is looking for a particular file you tested with?

Version number is 3.0.1. I don't know the revision number of the plug-in the broke, so I'm hoping my install worked.

Much appreciated,

Scorster

In reply to by scorster

All is well again with abc import ... but I'll mention a couple of things that might help those switching to the new plugin.

I have Jeetee's new 3.0.1 plugin qml file installed on MacOS at:

      /Users/John/Documents/MuseScore3/Plugins/abc_import.qml

But I noticed the Plugin Manager still showed the old abc_import plugin as enable-able ... and I was unable clear it from within the Manager dialog.

I looked for a duplicate in Users/John/Documents/MuseScore3/Plugins—in MacOS—and saw only the new plugin. Apparently MuseScore's installer stored the original abc_import plug at this location (on MacOS):

     /Applications/MuseScore 3.6.2.app/Contents/Resources/plugins/abc_import.qml

Sohe Plugin Manager must look in both folders, which is why it finds and shows the new and old versions in it's "available plugin" list.

To exclude the older version I simply removed the version 3.0.0 form its location deep in the MuseScore application package. Now the Plugin Manager no longer displays the old 3.0.0 version—ergo, less potential confusion down the road.

Excellent work Jeetee!

Scorster

Updated attachment above.

Plugin version: 3.0.2

  • filename renamed to avoid MuseScore plugin detection confusion

  • MenuPath appended with (jt) for the same reason (no confusion when both are enabled)

  • Fixed the Qt.Quit() issue

Thanks @jeetee ! One other question - the ABC plugin had this strange quality where it would disable itself for no good reason, and you'd periodically have to re-enable it in the Plugin Manager. I think at one time someone thought they knew why, but I can't who figured it out or they proposed a solution.

Yes, that was the issue. I had thought I remembered it supposedly had to do with the plugin being first in the list rather than being anonymous that plugin specifically, but I also thought I remember someone later figuring out there was more to it. I never tried to verify whether or not that was the issue myself, but I know I am constantly hit by this.