What does these symbols mean?

• Feb 24, 2017 - 20:14

I have no idea what these are now in modern music and do they exist now in modern music in my score

Harp staff

Percussion staff (note is used on other instruments too)

Harp staff

The last two are on wind instruments

Attachment Size
IMG_3674.PNG 35.24 KB
IMG_3673.PNG 44.96 KB
IMG_3675.PNG 133.56 KB
IMG_3677.PNG 36.21 KB
IMG_3676.PNG 65.45 KB


The things that look like ties are indications to let the sound continue to ring. The first image is apparently for triangle - telling you to hit it and let it continue to ring.

The one on the harp staff is apparently a pedal diagram. Not really the standard way of indicating this - it's normally done using note names, not pictures.

The multiple dots above the tremolo notes are telling you play each of them staccato.

The dots next to the *va are apparently just a poorly drawn dotted line for the 8va itself.

Do you still have an unanswered question? Please log in first to post your question.