Separate Instrument to Sound mapping from the Mixer Panel
I am new to MuseScore, and while I am using the application, I keep track of areas of improvement which I would like to post here. Of course, where possible I checked this forum on these topics first before posting.
Changing the instrument to sound mapping in the Mixer is a bit of a frustrating experience:
- Selecting a sound from a very long list is cumbersome. I do use keys to preselect the type of sound I am looking for.
- There is no search or auto-complete function to select a sound;
- I have no idea which sound is provided through which Soundfont.
- While scrolling the instruments list in the mixer using e.g. a mouse wheel may accidently change the sound mapping, so I have to start from scratch again.
- There seems no way to save a template sound mapping, so it the process has to be repeated for new scores.
Move sound mapping from the mixer into its own dialog/panel
I would suggest to separate the sound mapping from the mixer and create its own dialog or panel, similar to, or an extension of the Muscore Instruments (Edit > Instruments..). This way the mixer can be simplified, the GUI smaller and the user can focus on mixing sounds..
Improvement to the sound mapping functionality
- Use long instrument names for the sound mapping. This way I am sure I create the correct mapping for a stave;
- Add a search function to search for sounds;
- Add auto complete to quickly select a sound;
- Add a checkbox to select from a certain soundfont only;
- Ability to save a sound mapping for a certain instrument setting. For example if I want to create score for a modern orchestra, I can choose to load my preferred instrument settings which will load my preferred sound mapping.